Sunday, July 03, 2005

All Seems Quiet But it Really Is Not!

I realize sitting here once again attempting reinstallation of SP1 on my SBS server that I have not blogged since the end of Gnomedex and thought I should make mention that I been dealing with the most current update to my Small Business Server to the SP1 service pack Microsoft has released. Problem is, once it is installed it has enabled a firewall that no computer on the network will see, nor can I access any files other then from the server itself. Latest information I receive is that there is a patch and registry tweak to be made which I am currently in the process of doing. It was then that I realized my email was beginning to really get backlogged as well as the remote services that I do to those client-computers that have issues. If you are one of these people, please be patient.. so long as you are still surfing the net and receiving email, then at this point, you are doing better then the 4 computers I currently have on my bench, therefore I have had to really prioritize things in that fashion.

Fun with computers.. That's all I can say about this. I don't really classify myself as a very patient person when it comes to computer problems, however that is not what I have been told by many who know me. In fact I guess you could say I am quite the opposite, therefore I guess when I have looked at the amount of time I have spent "tweaking" and just getting this server going, I have to look at it from the fact that it "serves" so much that this time I spend working on it is time well spent. Much like the service loaners, which allow me to keep a client computer that extra day on the bench quite often allows for many small issues that would normally get missed after making any sort of repairs and simply returning it. There is no doubt that the longer I have to work on something, the more problems I will find therefore optimizing the computer even more.

So what might end up appearing like it is a quiet time, when in fact I have found myself stuck to my chair in registry repairs... Not something I enjoy doing, but if it means putting up with a little frustration for what should be worth it in the end, I'll have to take that chance and in the meantime please remember I am a key click away if something should become a real problem!