Tuesday, November 15, 2005

All Browsers Are Not Created Equal

I recently had a client email me with questions to why she could not move a window view to the bottom of the screen or see other parts of a window while visiting her online banking website. This place as well as pogo.com play site. I immediately figured it was a java thing and updated this to the latest version. This is something that everyone should check on periodically as it never hurts, especially with all the new security issues website are attempting to install due to the ever increasing phishing that is going on. When continued problems occurred, I suggested to try using Internet Explorer. You see, I have pretty much persuaded most of the clients to "try a different web browser" and my choice being Avant Browser, for more reasons then I care to mention in this blog but you can feel free to download it and enjoy, however be aware that not all websites may function correctly. Whether it is directly due to the browser not being compatible from the way the webmaster had created the site (note that most websites will aim to be Internet Explorer friendly due to the statistics that show IE is still number one, even if those numbers are dropping. Avant may very well be okay for these sites that were giving my client troubles but without actually viewing her online banking site to see exactly what she was referring to, I knew to try IE and if there were still problems then I would focus on the problem. Knowing that this fixed the problem for her, that was enough, but for me, I want to know why Avant didn't cut it. So I start to dive in to the options.. Unfortunately in most cases of R & D work, you must retrace the problems in order to see where things go wrong and therefore I still must say you have to either just use the other browser for the pages that you know you have troubles with, or figure out what settings must be changed in order for it to work in Avant. And, if no solution can be found, a simple email to the programmers should make them aware in which case you will see the fix in a new version soon to be released. This is the best part of open source software, the fact that the programmers are more then willing to take in any and all information about problems you might have while using their product. If you ever find yourself truly enjoying the program you are using, never feel you can't send your praise their way either. With most programs, you will have a 'help' option at the top menu and from there you will find "about" and this is where you can find the website information as well as the programmer or contact information and email in most cases.

With the power behind the Avant Browser, knowing that the options menu is full of great features that I have yet to completely explore, I am not going to knock this little browser at all because it failed the viewing of a few websites. As I see it, just be thankful you are not limited to only one choice!