Monday, May 07, 2007

Is your data safe and secure?

I am writing this blog entry to remind those of you that have important data that you have created over the time you have been using your computer. This may have been just recently, some business proposal or a resume, maybe a bunch of cooking recipes you have just spent the past few hours inputting so that you would have it handy. It really doesn't have to be something that important, but just the fact that you have spent hours creating the document should make it worthy of knowing it is safe and secure for when you need it.

How many times do I hear people scream at their computer because it 'isn't working the way it should, right when I am in a hurry and I need it to work correctly.

I am over at a friends place where I have just put a very frazzled mind at ease, since a very important document had gone missing. I asked what I was told "a very dumb question", if a complete search of the computer was done. Apparently it had, but I thought I might try anyway. So I entered the search (click on start menu then on search) and entered the word 'final' as this document was the final exam questions which would have had to be completely re-written if it was lost, a job that would have probably taken about 3 hours to complete and even then, it probably would have been a little different since these questions were originally created straight from the brain and not from a text book. Within less than a second I had a full page of different documents so I asked what class was this for and after learning the class number, I entered this after the word final and narrowed the search. This time only two things came up and one of them was the final exam questions. The reaction was one of joy and relief and so all was fine once again.

However, I then asked the question, what if your hard drive crashed right now and you lost everything, I guess that would make you a little upset? Well duh, of course I would be upset, I would be devastated. So on that note, I pointed to the Carbonite backup system which is something that I would highly recommend to any and all that use the computer. Since this is one of those 'set and forget' type of things, there really is no excuse why you wouldn't use such a wonderful program. You can learn more about it here and you can download and install it here. Do yourself a favor by using a little preventative maintenance at this time! Okay sure, there is a cost for this service but considering a large coffee at Starbucks will set you back about the same amount as this service charges for a month....well I'll leave the rest up to you!