Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Carbonite and Comments

Blogs have always amazed me, from the very first one I read I knew the RSS thing would be a hit. What I did notice however, was how any blog with a comment section would typically be loaded with either very negative or comments about nothing relavent to the topic, nor was the idea that people could comment on something I felt were simply the persons own opinons anyway.
 
So it should come as no surprise when I receive an annoymous comment through my website, clearly attempting to hide their true identity by not providing any real email address, even though backtracing of an ip address can always be accomplished. It seems this person figured I was under contract or making commisions from Carbonite.  No, just like everyone else that does sign up to their service can gain additional months of service (3 months) so sure, you can do the math and quite quickly see it would only take 4 friends for you to have your own computer completely covered for a year. Call it a perk if you want but certainly I am NOT making money from Carbonite. Do I think their service is great, absolutely. So when I receive email from them stating that updates, etc had caused a few burps in the system and that I would have to perform a 2 minute reinstall of the software and to not worry that my data was still quite safe and nothing had been lost... so what is so wrong about passing this sort of information on to my friends and blog readers who may already have the product, or wanting to learn more about it?  I must say, with all the negativity in the world, it is a shame that even a blog/website like mine that is only trying to help those with computer problems find solutions and to understand this weird and wonderful thing called technology.
 
Am I making this up?  Here's a clip from the email message sent:
 

Dear Carbonite Customer,


Carbonite began the first phase of a system upgrade early Monday morning. Due to a server glitch, a number of customers using Carbonite version 3.5.89 have been unable to reconnect since that time, even though Carbonite's servers were unavailable for only a few hours.

We've identified your computer *************  as one of those affected.

Don't worry, your backup is safe, but it will not be updated until you reinstall the latest version of Carbonite as follows...
 
 
..it then goes on to explain how to fix the problem.