Sunday, April 18, 2010

TIP-Windows 7 Homegroup-can't leave it

Windows 7 is wonderful, but that doesn't mean it too doesn't have a few issues. I came upon one today that dealt with my 'homegroup' and noticed it would not allow me to leave the homegroup. The fact that this computer was the main 'server' computer for the rest of them I began to think it would deal with the roaming profiles and I was correct. This is how I fixed it:

Go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and delete all of the files in this folder. Now restart the computer.

Go to Services again and you should be able to start 'Peer Networking Grouping' and 'Peer Name Resolution Protocol'. Restart the computer again.

When you log on this time, check the event log again, to ensure no errors concerning the two services are present and also check Services to ensure the two services concerned are running.

You should now have full functionality restored to your homegroup.