Friday, June 30, 2006

Once again time seems to be (not) on my side

When it comes to listening at Gnomedex, to all the ideas that come to mind while I do, it seems I need to try to find a time management device (or person) to allow me the freedom to explore some of these ideas. At this point I will not mention my ideas, since I will hopefully put some of these ideas in to some form of notes that one may find interest in reading. As I listen at Gnomedex to all of the speakers and the suggestions they make to all of us (gnomedexers at the conference), it seems like these people have more time then I do, to go forward and create. As much as I have so many ideas, it seems that time becomes my biggest enemy since the first thing that has to happen is to put food on the table. The concept of blogging and advertising and advertising in general, on the internet and on your personal websites, to make money, maybe not enough to make your own living, but enough to give you the freedom to have a hobby that may actually become the way we do things in the future.

I know right now, when it comes to blogging, it seems there is a following but only once your blog gets known by those that stumble across it in one way or another. On this blog, I created it to be an information portal for me to keep my existing clients up to date on the news that deals with computing and technology, and I guess, what I am doing with regards to all of this. Currently listening to Susan Mernit speak about personal blogging and the sexual issues.. It certainly makes you realize just how great the internet can be, by allowing an open channel for anyone to speak their minds...

So for me, I hope to find more time to create some sort of framework of what I would like to accomplish with what I am currently doing with the technology I use and how I could be using it to further benefit more and more people. For now, my website and this blog appear to be the method of communicating to those that want to know what I might be thinking. Now to link my thoughts with others that have similar thoughts and/or a means to adding to the end result which hopefully is to have a more clear path to what everyone wants out of the technology they have available to them. One thing I see at this conference when speaking to different people is a common goal of creating some sort of tool to help everyone communicate better and yet that actual goal seems to be no closer then it was last year. One comment I read about Gnomedex was "what's the point in gnomedex?, it seems like a place for bloggers and nothing more". True, the word blog is everywhere, and it has been since I heard about it at my first Gnomedex (#3) where blogging was very new and even then I didn't start one until the following Gnomedex #4 when I recognized I was one of the last remaining people in the room that didn't have a blog. Does this mean everyone should have a blog? Yes, I truly believe that everyone should have a blog, whether you actually write a lot on it would be completely up to you, but if nothing else, it would give you the ability to go back and search for whatever it is you happened to be commenting about, years later. As well, it would allow those that know you and possibly care about you, just what you happened to be feeling at that time. By simply creating a profile helps too.

Closer to me, personally dealing with my Niece who has a daughter born with, virtually unknown problems,.. this has been going on for some time, and of course the family all want to know what is going on. It was truly amazing to see them create a blog which would allow those that were wanting to know, just how things are going, whenever they want. To me, this is an example of just how powerful a very simple thing such as a blog can be in the tools of communicating.