Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remote Computing--Connecting to your friends computer

This is a 'tinfoil hat' blog post as it can get a little technical and for many, over their head when it comes to 'how to' but I believe Peter Butler over at CNet has a pretty good explanation with some examples of product available. I have personally used many of these, and currently have taken logmein (http://www.logmein.com) as my favorite method that I deploy on virtually any computer that ever goes across my bench. Since their software installs quite easily (very few problems so far), so long as your computer is connected to the Internet, I should be able to connect and help you out with whatever problems you might be having...without you needing to know ip addresses or router settings. With their service, it is very customizable and can grow as I need it to, giving me even more methods of helping those that require closer monitoring. Some people like to just use their computer and not have to worry that it isn't going to be working when they want to use it, and that is my mission--to be able to keep you up and running, or have a service loaner available for you which can be delivered to you in most cases, within the hour if you should be in that much of an emergency!