Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Air Canada USB seat power

As I do travel a lot, thanks to Air Canada's flight passes they make available, I do take advantage of the in-seat power (when available).  Note the website SeatGuru can help you confirm if your flight equipment (plane) has the power but something that most flight attendants are not aware of, as I have heard one recently tell a passenger, that yes, the USB power is 110 volt.. nope, not true!  In fact I am not even sure it is 12 volt but sure it is 5 volt which is the typical output power for USB devices. I have used this to power/charge my pocket pc but most definitely it is NOT 110 volt. This is a separate plug which is available on most of the equipment that is in the air, however on many seat backs you will only find the 110 volt on the first class seats and those in the front economy seats so be sure to use SeatGuru to get updates on this.  This site does a good job of providing pictures.

I am about to get on another flight and trying to think if I have any device that I can plug in to the USB which requires 12 volt or a way of testing, but since I am very limited to what I can bring on the plane I might have to wait until my next flight where I can be sure to bring along a voltage checker..