Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Starbucks Pay by app issues-where's my discount?

For those that know me, they know how obsessed I am with new technology so it should come as no surprise that I am now posting my initial comments and concerns with the new "pay-by-app" feature Starbucks has introduced.  Sure, I love this new feature and hope more vendors will take to it soon, however before I jump on board, especially with the Starbucks app, I have a few issues.

Yes, it is convenient for those joggers/walkers that leave home with nothing more than their house key and their cell phone and wish to buy a coffee, but if you are using this for nothing more than convenience, shouldn't you also get some sort of reward, other than what they advertise as a 'time convenience'?  Since I have yet to EVER walk straight up to a Starbucks counter without waiting in some sort of line, I don't think this is the best approach. As I just mentioned, it might make more sense to use the active lifestyle approach such as jogging/walking and not carrying your purse/wallet.  Sure the app is free, but shouldn't you also be saving something on the overall cost of product? Even a quarter is better than nothing and since this sort of app is only opening up the doors for future app hacking whereas you are currently having to 'refill your card', essentially paying the company up front for a product you have yet to use. Also, from what I have read on most fine-print documents on said pre-paid cards, there is a time limit whereas if the card is not activated after a set amount of time or is not completely used within a specific amount of time, the company will start taking a specific amount each month off the card. If the future is going to be pay by app then there has to be some savings for this to truly be worth while. For now, thank you Starbucks for leading the way, but until you actually give me a discount for using this product, no way will I be giving you my money up front, especially when your product is the most expensive out of all coffee companies in the world as it is.