Monday, April 16, 2012

From 37 Thousand feet

I figured since I had a free pass to get online that now is as good a time as any. From bumpy skies at 35,000 we just moved up a bit so now I make fewer typos!  Interesting how tech changes over the years. From the old air phones that you would slide your credit card in to and get charged about $10 per minute to what Alaska Airlines is currently charging $12 for flights over 3 hours. Gogo inflight service as I notice, has changed the rates substantially since its inception back in 2010. I know because I had to go through my archives to find my free pass and found many 15, 20 and even 35% off the rates of 24 hour as well as monthly passes which are (as low) as $29/month.. not bad since Alaska Air is getting almost half that on one flight.  So for those of you planning on doing any amount of flying over the span of a month, or for that matter, even a week or so, especially if you have a number of legs on your journey that have wifi access (I note Alaska is pretty good but it appears Delta is currently the clear winner with most of their fleet from what I see).  It is a good idea to book it while on the ground however, and directly from gogo.com as that is where you will find the best deals. I notice the different options on this flight that have 24 hour pass as well as weekly and month but be cautious if going for a 24 hour flight and make sure it is for the entire gogo service and not just with that one airline in the case you will be on more then one in your journey.
I gave the line2 VOIP a try.. it worked but the noise on the aircraft didn't help any, even when holding my headphone/microphone up close to my mouth.  I then gave Viber a try and although the listening was great and initially it stated I had excellent service, after about 20 seconds it went for crap and down to poor... I then did a speedtest and got this.

So needless to say, it's fine for getting your email and posting to your blog but don't count on doing any major networking.
Personally I really don't need internet as I always have enough to read, listen and watch while I fly. If I only listened to my list of podcasts I would be good for 7 days straight!  I do attempt to take advantage of the offline mode for the many newspaper apps and news reader (reeder for ipad is still the best) so I really don't require internet. I just have to make sure I pop online when I land, in between flights to get things updated.