Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Consolidated Communications (CCI) Router Admin Password [Technical/TIP]

My friend just recently joined the CCI internet services. This company has been busy buying out other internet service providers like SureWest and are currently in California, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Texas and Pennsylvania.  I was fortunately present when the Internet guy came to set things up as I was able to sign in to the router and update the firmware and change the password accordingly. He gave me the admin password which I made a point of writing down as I knew there would come a time I would need to factory reset the router.

That time came a lot sooner than I had hoped as the 100 mbps service was crap with video drop outs (packet loss) like crazy.  The problem was the admin password didn't work and doing the normal search through the Netgear website was useless, as were the forums since everyone stated it should be "admin" and "password" but I knew something was wrong when on the back of the router itself, the SSID name was not SureWest-3D as it was supposed to be and knowing that CCI was now in charge, when I saw myCCI show up as being available and entering the passkey from the label on the bottom of the router worked... however that still didn't get me in to the administration.  So I made a call.. 10 times I got through the press # to get to internet, etc.. and then the line would go dead.  So I tried emailing.. figuring they would just email me the resolution, they ended up calling about 30 hours later.. as I started to speak to the nice lady from tech support, the line went dead.. "oh great now what? Will she call back?"  nope.. not for about 30 more hours... So much for this communication company being very communicable!

So today it was resolved and she said there were a number of passwords they use. Actually she started to say "they don't give the customers the admin... " and then changed her tune and said "Oh yes, we do give admin passwords".. knowing this already I was prepared but did not need to respond.

So the one that worked for this Netgear n750 wireless router with the model number WNDR4300 was 

admin
and the password "cciadmin"

This was confusing because the guy initially gave me "SWAdmin" and password "$WN3Tw0rK!"

so hopefully one of these will work for you and you won't have to go through what I did to just get in to the admin.