Sunday, September 30, 2018

Please Stop Allowing Strangers to Connect to Your Computer

It seems it is time once again for me to send out this email to all to remind you that you should NOT be allowing anyone to connect to your computer (other than myself to perform maintenance)..It seems the new normal is for any supposed "tech support" you may contact, will simply request to connect and within seconds after allowing them to connect to "see what the problem is" they are doing nothing but disrupting your computer.. 

Think of it another way.. you are walking down the street and a complete stranger walks up to you and asks to take a look in your purse/wallet.. would you let them? Of course not!  So why would you simply allow a complete stranger to connect to your computer, simply because you are calling the credit card company, internet provider or other "tech support hotline"?  Of course the problem may be with your computer, likely the web browser requiring updating or a possible update with other security, but having them connect only to install malware is the last thing you need.  

Simply contact me and I will take care of it... I might not even have to connect, but likely I will connect while talking to you on the phone so that we can go over the problem together.. since it is one thing for me to fix the problem but in many instances, the problem is simply that the user is not aware of how to do something and so that is why I will explain it to you.  

Most recently I am dealing with what ended up being nothing more than me removing the crapware that was installed by these people that had connected, after what should have been an uneventful phone call to a credit card company's tech support when a client could not pay the bill.  This client was fortunate it wasn't a lot worse, but regardless they scared her by telling her she had "Russian Viruses".. yes, Russian.. why not, since the US and Russia are in the news, it would make sense to say it was from Russia... of course in her case there was no virus and everything was fine other than the malware they had installed once they were connected. 

I have witnessed much worse, where these people immediately removed the antivirus as well as maintenance software that I have installed which does the monitoring of said malware/viruses.. this way they can justify the fact that you were "unprotected".

Bottom line should be.. ANY TECHNICAL ISSUES CONTACT MIKE 🤕👍

I say I am a key click away for a reason.. 24/7/365 days a year!