Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Microsoft's Latest Plunge in to the Spyware Programming

It has come to my attention (by the amount of email) I am getting, questioning on whether or not the latest spyware program scanner available by Microsoft should be downloaded. In my opinon, at this time, no, I wouldn't be. This is simply because there are many spyware programs out there but only a few have proven themselves to be worthy of running on my computer. I realize that because Microsoft makes the operating system, that they should be pretty confident in knowing what is spyware, that doesn't belong next to the program code that they have created. The problem then comes when Microsoft wants to know "more" about your computer then is what might be deemed necessary information. Personally, knowing that you can avoid sending any information to anyone (including Microsoft) when it is not pertinent to the operation of the computer then don't bother. It is nothing more then filling out the registration card that is filled with a questionnaire in which you are supposed to send back to the manufacturer to confirm your warranty. I haven't actually heard of this as being a case where your warranty was void because you didn't send the card in, but one thing for sure, you didn't receive a bunch of junk mail from the manufacturer after you sent it in, which is what happened to your neighbor that did send the card in.

Sure, we want to be thorough in our cleaning of the computer but at what cost to the operator? At a time when Identity theft is on the rise, I am a firm believer in keeping up to date with what spyware programs have been working. As with any software in its infancy stages, I test it, and then recommend upon whatever my findings are and with that knowledge I pass it on to my clients and any computer that crosses my bench.

So, to answer the question, should you install Microsoft spyware program? No, I wouldn't, but I would make sure ad-aware and spybot search and destroy as well as spyware blaster and spyware guard are up to date. You can download them from my SOFTWARE/SUPPORT page. As well, if you want to get caught up in the different theories out there with what Microsoft is really doing...