Friday, June 24, 2005

It's Gnomedex 5.0 Official Day 1

It's Gnomedex 5.0 Official Day 1
If you don't know anything about Blogging then this is certainly the place to be. Close to 400 people are here at Gnomedex this year, listening and taking part in what any and all topics relating to blogs and blogging. Since my blog is pretty much based on technical updates and information that I feel is important for my existing clients as well as anyone looking for information and instruction with computers in general. RSS has been mentioned on occasion, it is still something relatively new in the internet workplace, that is, if you can consider about 3 years new.  What has gone from an individual posting of their diary to a website can now be seen and heard via audio and video "podcasting".
 
 
The first dealing with "podcasting" finds over 5 million sites when doing a google search today.
Blogging uses the RSS file format for its distribution and therefore appears initially as a need download specific software in order to view and post your feed.  Interestingly enough, as I was busy downloading one blog editor, a fellow gnomedexer walked over to me and handed me a cd stating that "this is better then what you are using". Of course everyone will have their own opinion on this and just like any other software you use right now to do things on the internet, like your web browser, there are many versions available, all with their pros and cons, as I can see things.  The one issue I have had just getting in to the blog community is finding out just what is required.  Right now, I am using blogger which, run by Google, allows you to create a free blog, much like Microsoft's Hotmail is a free web based email that is free for anyone to use, you can utilize this software which doesn't require any download, to post and maintain your blog.
 
Microsoft is at Gnomedex of course, as one of the major sponsors. IE 7 (Internet Explorer) will be released in December with a beta coming out this summer (soon?)  We all got a sneak preview of this new browser which will have an integrated RSS news aggregator, something that many other browsers have already introduced, but of course when you are dealing with the massive numbers of users throughout the world that are currently using some form of IE, Microsoft will wait until they have it right.  This being said, you should be ready for the release by getting more knowledgeable about this now. I say this because it truly will be the future of the internet as we see it right now. 
 
I could have mentioned this in one of my very first blogs that I created since that was at Gnomedex 3.0, when Chris was so excited about this "new thing called RSS", but I didn't simply because it was so new and I like to understand what it is I am working with before I go out and start training people on how to use it. It has taken the three years for me to see the usefulness of this service, however that may also be only because during this early growth in this product that people have found so many other uses. Now with podcasting it truly allows people to illustrate their thoughts and feelings to whatever their post may be about in formats other then writing.
 
I know I have mentioned RSS before but now, here I am at Gnomedex 5.0 and as I see it, this is a must for all who use the internet in some form and fashion, whether it be with email and typical web surfing, you are going to need to know about this, so take my advice and start learning all you can about this and get started with your blog!