Thursday, October 01, 2009

Apple Rant

I believe this will be my first rant about Apple or any Apple product, since I have been asked in the past, which is better Mac or Window. My answer has always been, it would depend on what your computing needs are. But this rant is not as much about Mac products, rather, the updating process for existing Apple products.

It is one thing to have 
ITUNES installed on your computer, but to have it automatically check for updates is something I always suggest turning off (or disabling from windows start up). If you are using a Mac then leave well enough alone when it comes to disabling items on start up (no need since there is never a conflict or loss of performance).  My issues are with the ipod touch/iphone updates whereas once you have updated to the latest build, you now have problems that you never had before, such as the automatic connection to existing wifi connections!  Why must I now wait until a new update comes out that fixes whatever else may show up down the road as a security/bug fix?  This is where, if you must compare Windows to Mac, Microsoft shines, with the ability to individually update patches that become available. 

Apple, you know there is a problem with the latest update build so why must you frustrate everyone with the inability to use, what was a very solid device, without having to roll-back to an earlier build and give up the security/bug fixes for the latest build?

I did purchase the WifiTrak app right after I purchased my ipod touch, back when the second generation unit was bought, since this feature was not something automatic at the time, but with the 3.0 upgrade, which I paid for, fixed this problem, I found I was not having to use the WifiTrak app as often. Now, I can use the WifiTrak app but it doesn't help because after the latest 3.1.1 update, I now have this very frustrating "staying connected" problem.

Please Apple, please do not become another Microsoft, and if you are going to become another Microsoft, at least create a "technet type" website where I can custom patch my device personally....

..... rant complete, you may now return to whatever it was you were doing before you got sidetracked in to allowing me to vent.