Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mouse Drivers, Vista features and bugs discovered

Imagine my own surprise when I install a new mouse on a vista machine only to find myself frustrated with the drivers and do a quick search through my own notes and find a blog post that I had started to work on, most likely wanting to vent in frustrations, therefore deciding I would RANT about it.  Although it was initially drafted over 1 year ago, amazingly it still applies today!  

Drafted initially on April 20, 2007

I guess as a potential computer tip for helping with the optimizing of your computer, since I am a firm believer in using programs like CCleaner, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG Antispyware and Ad-Aware as my current aresenal (which you can download from the SOFTWARE/SUPPORT area) in the combat against the problematic 'stuff' that gets in your computer basically slowing your system down and in many cases, annoying you with pop up windows that you could do without. As I have and continue to provide updated and ever changing approaches to the cleaning and removal of the 'spyware'....

I have also discovered what I would consider a bug in which I am currently researching either a repair patch or .. whatever, must be done to fix a problem when you open 'computer'

I just learned that installing the latest Microsoft laser mouse software does help when using Vista (or maybe for XP as well, but my laptop is running on Vista 32 bit Premium) and the default setting for the middle mouse/scroll wheel is "instant viewer" and I was blown away by what it did, much like the 'switch screens' quick launch icon, it gives a pretty trick display of switching between (or just leaving it) in that mode, as I often am multitasking between computer screens using remote connection it is a wonderful way to make my one screen in to many. The key to this is having true real-time display in each window.

Since I know those computers that use logitech hardware, will have many items in which I would typically disable, such as the Logitech Desktop Messenger, which is nothing more then what I already block, the windows messenger. This doesn't mean you can't use Windows Live Messenger at all, this just closes the availability of this port to any other bot that might attempt to open it, as I believe this is why it is an option in such programs as X-Setup, that have a registry hack for this, as do other programs like Autoruns . I also use a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard.

This being said, it is not uncommon to find yourself looking at the 22" LCD Monitors when initially shopping for the 19" as well, in wide-screen edition, and when you double it, providing you with gives you two monitors to do your multi-tasking at a grand scale since you have 44" of desktop space) , is rapidly becoming the 'default' desktop system for the avid computer user as LCD Monitor prices are rather impressive as the margins between the two grow slim.