Wednesday, February 15, 2012

IPads and upgrading them

With this recent Techcrunch post "I’m Already Bored With The iPad 3", I thought I should give me opinion of this, since I am NOT bored with the Ipad3!


Of course with any new product there will be rumours as to what it will actually have for specs but all this does is promote the obvious which will be, many of the next generation Ipads will sell and sell fast!

I own the original Ipad as well as the Ipad2, both are the 3G version because that was, by far, the greatest feature in my opinion. Just having the ability to connect anywhere there is cell service, not having to be within a wifi hotspot truly makes the device mobile. Considering it is about $100 more, it is well worth it. Of course that means you need to subscribe to a monthly service plan but there is no long term contract so you don't have to purchase a 3G plan for the month or more, if you know you will not be travelling, but knowing it is there, I believe is a big deal.

I never missed the camera that wasn't part of the original Ipad as I don't believe I have really made many video calls the required this, nor have I really used the camera for taking pictures, but again, it is nice to have it there, especially for some of the newer apps that are taking advantage of the camera/gps for location type services.

External/SD card memory.. don't miss that either.. having the ability to network to some other computer is just fine, not to mention dropbox, the cloud, box, etc... yes, I have purchased the SD card adapter but that was so I could upload my pictures from my camera, which I believe I have actually used twice so this too is something optional and is merely a tool that you can choose to buy if you are in to this sort of thing.

The speed difference between Ipad 1 and 2 is noticeable with certain apps but not that much really, but then again, my Ipad 1 is now used for the less memory intensive items while I do those things from my Ipad2.

Will I be getting an Ipad3? Yes, absolutely, and it will be the 3G version, or should I say LTE version as it is most likely going to have that if nothing else (quad core is skeptical in my opinion and I believe we won't see this until the Iphone 5 is released probably on or near the end of November 2012)

Do I really need 3 Ipads?  No, but then again, for each Ipad I have, that is less time spent on any other computer I may be using and that includes any laptop since I utilize the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with whichever Ipad I am using as the portable typing device.

It truly boils down to what you plan to use the device for. Initially if it becomes the bathroom reading device, so be it. You won't be disappointed with whichever version you end up with, and knowing they are already starting to drop the prices on Ipad2 in anticipation of #3, you may want to settle on that, especially if it is your first Ipad you will own.