Sunday, August 17, 2014

Don't think you know it all!

When it comes to computers, don't think you know it all! I certainly don't.. no matter how many hours I spend keeping up to date on the malicious software that infects your system and the methods in which to remove as well as prevent and maintain, I am still having to search deep on many occasions.

It's truly a never ending task, or so it seems, and it only gets worse when my own clients don't heed to my words to simply "use your computer, and leave the maintenance to me".. "whenever you get a pop up telling you there is an update, just close/cancel and then let me know".  I say this because I just spent the last day working on two computers within the same home.. so I know the malware I am dealing with is similar but different by the methods in which it was installed.  One person uses the Firefox Browser and the other Chrome (at this point please people, just use Chrome, it is so much simpler, faster and way easier to repair when there is a problem)....for this client, the problems are fixed but then the next question I hear is "why is this happening to me?" and the easiest answer is "because you clicked when you shouldn't have".

Within Chrome, for example, you should never get a pop up stating your java is out of date and if you do, DON'T CLICK ON IT. Simply let me know and I will take care of it.. odds are the website you are at is either malicious by the ads they are using and/or the website doesn't recognize the Chrome browser and in certain circumstances you will need to use the Avant Browser which emulates the Internet Explorer exactly.. The website will think you are using IE but you aren't and because you aren't you are less likely to be launching all sorts of malware aimed at the Internet Explorers many security holes.

If you are in doubt, best to simply close the program and then contact me. Also note you can SAFELY close any windows pop up by RIGHT clicking on the taskbar task that is highlighted with that program and choose CLOSE WINDOW. Alternatively you can RIGHT CLICK anywhere on the taskbar (bottom of your computer screen) and open the TASKMANAGER and end the task that you are unsure of.  The Microsoft 3 Finger Salute (ctrl-alt-delete) also launches the task manager option.

The moral to this story.. don't be afraid to ask!