Monday, November 10, 2014

Google Inbox App (opinion)

There are many apps out there that start as a beta which are released in small numbers, initially to get the general consensus from people and then there are those that utilize this as a marketing ploy.  Google is one company that lives for this sort of nonsense as with the latest "Inbox" App that is only available as an 'invite only' and so if you want to use/try it out you first need to get an invite. They have been pushing this for some time yet I have not received my invite. Then most recently they announced one day for one hour they had opened it up for everyone.. I missed it.. so once again I tried for an invite.. this time I was successful. 

Now I'm the kind of person that embraces new things and accepts change in technology. I recognize things may be different and you need to accept and learn all of the perks to doing things "the new way" as with most new builds of any software, they typically increase the productivity of it by removing things that would take 2 or more clicks to accomplish and make it only 1. Generally you can go in to the settings and change things back to the way they were before by using the 'classic mode' however before doing that you should try and give the new-look and new way of doing things a chance.

Well I did just that.. for all of about 30 minutes with this Google Inbox and I can safely say it is nothing more than a load of crap for anyone that has been using gmail for a number of years. I can say this because if you do utilize the existing features of 'archive' and use your gmail account as the 'inbox zero' method that I like to do, then you are only going to find this frustrating. 

For example, when a new message arrives, in order to delete it you have to click on the setting/drop-down button to the right and choose trash from there whereas the existing gmail for android (as this is where I had installed my inbox app) works much easier since you have the trash right there.   

I realize this is beta and invite only and that is why I decided to post this.. quite simply it is not something I am going to ever use nor would I recommend others using it especially when the existing gmail for android (and IOS) apps work so well. 

Who is this for? I would have to say for those that have 1000 messages sitting in their inbox that they have either not even responded to or have responded but figure they would just leave the message sitting there... since this new inbox app does just what gmail inbox does if you don't remove the 'sort' feature which places your mail in the appropriate folders.. if you are one that wants to get things done quickly then having to take additional steps to read something or remove something then this is not for you!