Friday, October 24, 2014

Has the Blog Bubble Burst? Too bad if it has!

One of the best things about what I do on a day to day basis is to do a lot of web surfing. As you are aware the simple reading of one new article that provides links from within and clicking on these has you quickly off on one or more tangents that may end up quite far from the original story you were initially reading. But this can be a good thing, depending on how you got to the place you are currently.  It is one thing to click on a link within a website you are visiting and have a new tab open in your browser to that new link, but when it simply takes you to the new website within the same window, you can find yourself clicking "back" many times. This in my opinion is simply bad web design, and because I see this so often I usually just do the RIGHT CLICK on the link and choose to open in a new tab regardless of what the link may actually do.
So I was looking at my own blog and making sure my own links were doing the right thing, which in most cases "opened in a new window" as on blogger you aren't really given the option to open in a new tab. But opening in a new window is just as good as you can then close that window when you are through viewing whatever it was that sent you there in the first place.
At the top of this blog which is part of the blogger network (Google's blogosphere) you will notice you can click on the NEXT BLOG which takes you to a completely random blog and from what I have learned is for the first 7 landings they were 2012 and 2013 dated last entries. Does this mean the blog bubble is over?  On my 8th random 'next' it did take me to a 2014 date but not since April of this year.  Understandably many personal blogs may have limited amount of entries but seriously people, why are you not keeping it active?  Talk about having a sure fire method of keeping an active diary of your events... I don't know how many times I go to my blog and use the search function to find a tip that I had mentioned where it helps save minutes (if not an hour) of searching for something I had already researched in the past.  Take advantage of the technology.. just because it is a blog doesn't mean you have to use it as a diary either.. take advantage of that search feature and you can use  your blog as a digital database for whatever you want. For example, if you wanted to catalogue items by numbering them, or simply by the date in which you have inputted the data, by performing a simple search after the fact and choosing your sort method on the results, you can quickly get to what it is you were looking for! It's time we take advantage of all this blogging technology. Don't just give up on it!