Friday, October 03, 2014

Internet Services and Statistics

Over the years there have been a few travel apps and websites that I seriously would have been lost without.  The amount of savings has been pretty substantial I should think and not only that but these same websites provide a series of statistics you can visit by viewing your account activity. 

Here is a look at some of mine for example:

Hotwire: I use the website mostly for car rentals, but also hotels as you can see from my statistics; a lifetime savings of $6312. I have booked 82 Hotels, 132 Rental Cars and 2 Flights since I joined (which is free of course).

TripIt:  Whenever I do book a trip of any type, whether it be a car rental, hotel or flight, I send a confirmation to my tripit account and it is then displayed on my calendar automatically. Amongst many other great features, this too is an app you shouldn't be without. According to its statistics on me, I have travelled 332,305 KM's to 65 locations since I started using their service.

TripAdvisor:  When researching a place, whether it is for hotels, things to do or see, Trip Advisor has the best reviews complete with actual photos from people that have stayed or visited these locations. Also, the great part with Trip Advisor is you too can provide valuable input by submitting reviews that will help fellow travellers. Although I admit I am a little behind on my reviews, to date since me joining in 2009 it shows my statistics as travelling 134,327 Miles, contributed 20 Reviews, 17 Hotel Reviews, 3 Restaurant Reviews, Reviews in 15 Cities. I have received 31 Helpful votes and have 2 "First-to-review" honours. It also states that I have been to 522 Cities and 17 Countries and have visited 17% of the world.. I must say I'm impressed.

Sometimes providing the basic information to website services and utilizing the services they provide can be a two way street!