Thursday, December 22, 2005

Windows XP Clean Install

As you will see from these techies, two different methods of installing and maintaining their own computers.

I pretty much have to say I do a little bit of both of these methods. The typical installation for me would be as follows:

If I am dealing with a new installation of windows xp, I will then install all software that I consider "typical". I then create a back up image partition (using partition magic) and then create an image of the system drive using Norton Ghost. I then label this as a "clean install". The next time I create a backup image I will not overwrite this image but will create a new image, one in which can be overwritten in the future. That way, I always have the ability to go back to the 'clean install' image. Given the fact that this may be as much as two years old, it would still require a number of windows updates as well as other software version updates but that takes a lot less time then a complete reinstall, especially when I know that this image was clean to begin with.

Now on the matter of partitions. Personally I have at any one time, two hard drives in my main computer. This will always have one drive specifically for the recording of TV which I use the wonderful program Beyond TV which I highly suggest anyone that is planning on using their computer as a 'tivo', this is the solution. I am using this to record off of a satellite feed and view it using High Definition (HD) and it works great. Currently I am using a 300gb SATA drive which gives me 91 hours of HD quality recording! The other drive I will have partitioned in two with my system drive starting at 50gb with the remainder (of a 200gb drive) as the data backups. I will also have my internet downloads on this drive.

Since I also utilize the Microsoft Small Business Server (SBS) I have it holding the fort with MY DOCUMENTS and all the major installation files and system backup images that I supply as a typical part of my services for my clients, that is, in the case where their drive is not large enough to house a backup partition that is. In some cases, where the client has a DVD burner, I can,on request, also burn a backup image to the DVD. This is something that I highly suggest anyone do that has a DVD Burner, that is, to at least backup your ACCOUNT.

Backing up your ACCOUNT is as easy as going to c:\documents and settings (drive c would be whatever your system drive is) and then choosing the account. You will have to use a dvd burner software program such as NERO which should come with your burner as some of these files will currently be used by windows, be prepared for a few prompts which you can skip in that case. These are system files and would only be restored in the case of a complete backup image. What you are after is more the data from your own input, such as your email, address book, my documents folders which houses My Pictures as well as My Music, that is, if you use these system folders. I highly suggest you do. Now, if you are using such programs as Limewire, then you are on your own as I do not condone the use of this type of file sharing program.

Bottom line is, when it comes to repairing a computer that already has a clean image partition, you know that at least you are going to have a very solid foundation in which you can go back to and probably save you at least 5 hours of reinstall time.

You can always learn more about OPTIMIZING your computer as well as download many system maintenance and optimzing programs from my SOFTWARE/SUPPORT pages from my website.