Monday, March 30, 2009

Conficker Worm Virus Issues

It always amazes me, whenever a virus comes out that attracts enough media attention to the point that it makes the evening news, I get many questions:

"Is this something I should worry about?"  
"This one sounds real bad, should I be turning off my computer until the virus goes away?"
"My antivirus says I am covered, am I?"

to answer:

No, No and Yes!

As I have always stated when a computer is up to date and connected to the internet, your antivirus program can continue to stay updated automatically. It is when you turn off your computer and turn it back on after being offline for any length of time that you need to worry because it is then that your antivirus will be downloading the available virus definitions, but typically when people turn off their computer because they are going away for a number of days, when they return and turn the computer back on, the first thing you want to do is check your email, which is the worst thing you could do.  The first thing you should be doing is allowing your antivirus to first detect the internet connection and start, what should be automatic, download of the latest virus definitions. In most cases, within a minute or so, you will get notification that your definitions are up to date.  If you are at all worried that your system is not up to date CONTACT ME and I will do what I can to help you out and make sure you are once again "safe".

What you must realize is that there are numerous viruses released in to the wild on a DAILY basis and that means your computer is always at risk when it is NOT connected to the internet for any length of time because that means your system is out of date from the very latest virus definitions. The fact that this virus hits the evening news shouldn't make you panic any more then normal, but it can work well as a wake up call to those that have not had their computer checked out and optimized for some time!