Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Uninstalling the Internet Explorer in Windows 7, yes you can! (technical)

One of the biggest security problems within windows is the simple fact that the Internet Explorer is part of the windows operating system and it requires this to utilize the Internet (network)..that is, up until now. As reported through the LifeHacker Blog, you can now uninstall the Internet explorer, kind of, at least enough so that the miscellaneous programs you have installed have no way of ‘accidentally’ opening windows through some sort of script. This is a big step for Microsoft to make, but one that I see as a positive move in the right direction, just as I praise the new Windows 7 operating system. To date, I have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS whatsoever, with any installation of windows 7 and I have now installed it on a few laptops and desktop machines.


UPDATE: After posting, I proceeded to actually do this and recognized a glaring fact that I had not even allowed the IE 8 to install (even though it is supposedly version 8 already installed on windows 7) therefore if you are like me and have never actually clicked on the Internet explorer and allowed it to completely install in the first place, you may not witness what these instructions state. Also, note the LifeHacker Blog post does provide you with the IE8 uninstall link that actually explains the procedure. Since I do not have IE8 installed, what I am planning on doing is actually installing IE8 and then going through these steps in hopes that it will in fact disable any further scripts from opening in IE since the IE.exe file will be removed as explained in these instructions.