Saturday, July 01, 2006

Firefox lights a little fire at Gnomedex

It is a tough crowd when you are working at explaining (promoting) your Firefox browser product when you have close to (only 20% or so) of the browser market with IE still the leader. My personal opinion on this is that last year at Gnomedex 5.0 Microsoft came on stage to promote IE 7 and all the great features that were going to included in the new browser and yes, it would include RSS. Now hold on a minute, Avant Browser has been doing this from the beginning of RSS, sure they are not even close to the rankings that IE and for that matter, Firefox has, personally I don't know why, other then possibly not getting the correct marketing. I know I actually got hooked on Avant Browser through Chris Pirillo through his email newsletter and the lockergnome website and to this day I am still a firm believer in the Avant Browser. Why? Because I don't have problems with it--ever! I don't have to download "plug-ins" for a web page to load correctly. When I am working closely with many computer users that are seniors that are not that computer literate this is also a key for me, not to have to be explaining constantly why some page will not open due to no plug in that is required or when the plug in doesn't work correctly.

I guess there is a lot to be said about not being number one... And for poor Blake Ross and his Firefox, being number two isn't that bad, especially since he is not trying to take over the world's number one spot--at least not right away. Personally, just build a good product and the users will come.

I will say, it is nice to FINALLY see a little heated debate/discussion here at Gnomedex 6.0.
One more thing while inserting my links. I thought I would try a more direct link for IE 7 and tried http://ie7.com wow, imagine my surprise!